In 2018, the endowed Rainbow Scholarship was made possible by QBE North America, a branch of the Australian insurer QBE, with a generous donation of $20,000 to the Madison College Foundation. In 2019, and 2020 QBE North America added an additional $5,000 each year to the Madison College Rainbow Scholarship fund. This fund will be used to award up to three $750 scholarships each semester to high school students planning to attend Madison College and/or currently enrolled Madison College students who identify as part of the LGBT community (e.g., lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, non-binary, asexual, or ally). Both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens are eligible to apply. Scholarship funds may be used for tuition, fees, books, and course-related supplies needed for Madison College classes.
Rainbow Scholarship awards are for one semester only and are nonrenewable. However, students may reapply for additional scholarships each semester and will be considered with other new applicants.
- The applicant must self-identify as part of the LGBT community.
- For high school graduates new to Madison College, the applicant must have a High School cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and must be enrolled in 6 or more credits at Madison College for the upcoming semester. Only degree course credits count toward this enrollment requirement. Preference will be given to students enrolled full-time.
- For students currently enrolled at Madison College, the applicant must have a Madison College cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and must be enrolled in 6 or more credits at Madison College for the upcoming semester. Only degree course credits count toward this enrollment requirement. Preference will be given to students enrolled full-time.
- The applicant is not receiving other financial support (e.g., full scholarships or full tuition remission) that covers all educational costs (e.g., tuition, fees, and books) for the semester in which the applicant will receive a Rainbow Scholarship.
- The applicant must demonstrate financial need and/or evidence of service to the LGBT community.
A complete application will include the following materials:
- [Required] A completed Rainbow Scholarship Application form. All required information must be provided for the application to be considered.
- [Required] For high school graduates new to Madison College, the most current High School Transcript.
- [Optional] One letter of recommendation written by an individual who can attest to such things as the student’s academic achievements, financial need, involvement in volunteer or community service activities, especially in the LGBT community, or other significant related activities. Letters should not be from family members or friends.
The Fall 2022 Application deadline is October 1st 2022.