In 2018, the endowed Rainbow Scholarship was made possible by QBE North America, a branch of the Australian insurer QBE, with a generous donation of $20,000 to the Madison College Foundation. The fund will be used to award two $500 scholarships each semester to high school students planning to attend Madison College and/or currently enrolled Madison College students who identify as part of the LGBTQA community (e.g., gay, lesbian, bisexual, asexual, transgender, gender fluid, intersex, queer, questioning, or straight allies). Both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens are eligible to apply. Scholarship funds may be used for tuition, fees, books, and course-related supplies needed for Madison College classes.
Rainbow Scholarship awards are for one semester only and are nonrenewable. However, students may reapply for additional scholarships each semester and will be considered with other new applicants.
- The applicant must self-identify as part of the LGBTQA community or as a straight ally.
- For high school graduates new to Madison College, the applicant must have a High School cumulative GPA of at least 2.0, and must be enrolled in 6 or more credits at Madison College for the upcoming semester. Only degree course credits count toward this enrollment requirement. Preference will be given to students enrolled full-time.
- For students currently enrolled at Madison College, the applicant must have a Madison College cumulative GPA of at least 2.0, and must be enrolled in 6 or more credits at Madison College for the upcoming semester. Only degree course credits count toward this enrollment requirement. Preference will be given to students enrolled full-time.
- The applicant is not receiving other financial support (e.g., full scholarships or full tuition remission) that covers all educational costs (e.g., tuition, fees, and books) for the semester in which the applicant will receive a Rainbow Scholarship.
- The applicant must demonstrate evidence of service to the LGBTQA community.
A complete application will include the following materials:
- A completed Rainbow Scholarship Application form. All required information must be provided for the application to be considered.
- FAFSA documents on file with the Madison College Financial Aid Office. If the applicant is not able to provide FASFA documents to Madison College, complete the essay describing financial need (limit 1,200 characters).