Our Downtown location closed this summer, after 98 years of serving students. The Wisconsin State Journal covered the move and spoke to Madison College employees about the change. The article (quoted below) reflects on the old and the new.
“Opened in 1921, the six-story building at 211 N. Carroll St. has for nearly a century served thousands of non-traditional students. High school equivalency diplomas offered a second chance to many. Associate degrees paved a path toward a higher-paying job or a pipeline to a University of Wisconsin campus. Continuing education classes encouraged lifelong learning.
MATC’S longtime commitment to meet the city where its needs are led it to the South Side, where some of the poorest and most diverse neighborhoods will be served by a new 75,000-square-foot campus.”